THEME: Fruits of the Spirit
WEEK 1 – Love
Memory Verse – Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”
MUSIC to Help Memorize
Fruit of the Spirit Worship Song
REQUIRED ACTIVITY - PRINT
- Coloring Sheets 1-2 years, Pre-K – Kindergarten, Grade 1-2
WEEK 1 Love – 1-2 years, Pre-K – Kindergarten, Grade 1-2
- Grade 3-5, Grade 6-8
Week 1 Love – Grade 3-5, Grade 6-8 1 of 2
Week 1 Love – Grade 3-5, Grade 6-8 2 of 2
Kindle Curiosity OPTIONAL ACTIVITY LESSON: (5 minutes)
- Any Fruit, such as an apple; napkins/wipes for sticky fingers
- Notecard for your child
- Piece of paper with Galatians 5:22-23 printed/written on it
- Slice the apple and give one slice to your child to eat
- Ask your child “what if I told you this apple came from an orange tree? What would you say?” (Allow time for their responses.)
It would be impossible for an orange tree to produce an apple! Only apple trees can produce apples and only orange trees can produce oranges. God made different kinds of plants and trees to produce certain fruits and only those fruits.
In the Bible, God teaches us that people produce fruit as well. Before we know God, what kind of fruit do you think we produce? We are only able to produce bad fruit. We constantly produce fruit like anger, hatred, jealousy, and greediness. After we become followers of God, He gives us His Spirit. Because we have His Spirit living inside of us, we are able to produce good fruit, fruit that comes directly from Him. Sometimes we will still continue to produce bad fruit because it is impossible for us not to sin, but just as sunshine, rain, and good soil cause an apple tree to produce apples, as we seek to know God, learn from Him, and listen to Him, the fruit of the Spirit is produced in us.
Closing Activities (5-10 minutes)
- Spend time in prayer together, asking God to help each of you produce the fruit of love each day, particularly this week.
- Work with them on memorizing Galatians 5:22-23.
Help your children review their verses all throughout the week.
Learning Objectives: After this lesson, the children will demonstrate:
- An understanding that love is a fruit of the Spirit and a command from God.
- An understanding that they have the ability to love as God loves, when His Spirit lives within them and as they abide in Him.
- An understanding of God’s great love for them in dying for their sins.
- Ways they can show love to particular people throughout the week (and hopefully do it!).
- Material Resource Provided By Ministry-To-Children
- Additional Resource for Parents: Khan Academy Kids